The Greek-focused Mediterranean restaurant Ousia opened today in VIA 57 West, the landmark building at 57th Street and the West Side Highway, Manhattan.
This is the newest concept by the Livanos Restaurant Group, which also owns Oceana and Molyvos in Manhattan and Moderne Barn and City Limits Diner in Westchester.
Executive Chef Carlos Carreto marries Greek flavors with spices, herbs and more from the greater Mediterranean region, the company says, while Wine Director Kamal Kouiri complements the chef’s creations with a similarly Greek-centric Mediterranean wine list, alongside bottles from Spain, France and Italy.
General Manager/Bar Program Director Johnny Livanos adds craft cocktails and a selection of craft beers. His cocktails include:
- Athena The Wise: bourbon, sweet vermouth, Rakomelo
- Baklava Island: aged rum, walnut liqueur, Allspice dram, honey, lemon
- P P P: pisco, pomegranate, pineapple, pink peppercorn
P P P: pisco, pomegranate, pineapple, pink peppercorn.
Celebrating the traditions of Mediterranean cuisine in the form of shareable plates, Chef Carreto’s menu includes interpretations of classic recipes. Dishes include:
- Cannellini Beet Spread: sesame, marinated beets
- Greek Endive Salad: aged Kefalotyri cheese, smoked Louza, almonds, white anchovy yogurt dressing
- Black Sea Bass Crudo: micro coriander, caper salt
- Turkey Leg Confit: roasted butternut squash, spiced honey
- Lamb Roulade: spinach, artichokes, sundried tomato, red wine reduction
Reflecting the modern architecture of VIA 57 WEST, Ousia’s “chic and contemporary aesthetic creates a comfortable space for guests to relax and indulge with friends,” the company says. “Reminiscent of the Mediterranean Sea, interior finishes include cypress wood on the walls, traditionally patterned encaustic blue and white cement tiles on the floor, and a mix of marble and stone for the bar top.”
The central, 30-seat bar serves as the space’s focal point, while the adjacent dining areas provide communal dining.
Ousia is is currently open for nightly dinner service from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Lunch and brunch service will be added soon.